Running Information Forums
Still aiming for sub 20-min 5k... - Printable Version

+- Running Information Forums (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Training Zone (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-The-Training-Zone)
+--- Forum: 5km Training (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-5km-Training)
+--- Thread: Still aiming for sub 20-min 5k... (/Thread-Still-aiming-for-sub-20-min-5k)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

RE: Still aiming for sub 20-min 5k... - GavMoon - 05-03-2024

PS I forgot to mention, Garmin's 5k race predictor has gone down to 19:32 now. I don't pay too much attention to the actual number, but it's come down by 30 secs over the last month or two, so Garmin is seeing some improvements in whatever KPIs it goes off.

RE: Still aiming for sub 20-min 5k... - TheEd - 06-03-2024

nice GM Smile

RE: Still aiming for sub 20-min 5k... - GavMoon - 27-03-2024

Ok TheEd, I'm done with the triathlons for this season now, and surprisingly even got on the podium for my age group at the last one on Sunday! (the faster people were doing the olympic distance)

What would you suggest for the next 6 months? I can fit riding and swimming around the running.

In years gone by you'd specify quite detailed sessions like 10x400 at 4:10 pace with 60s rest. Can we get back to that level of detail?

Cheers,
GM

PS Garmin's race predictor is back up to 19:49 - at least it's still sub-20 Smile

RE: Still aiming for sub 20-min 5k... - TheEd - 27-03-2024

Hi GM .. nice and well done .. are there no running events on the calendar so you able to use your current fitness?

we can provide specific pace according 5k times and 4k times (which we consider the best, as it is associated with our programs) + a 10k time

we can utilise the swimming and running as active recovery

do you have ParkRun that side?

with our group we like to work on micro cycles within a larger cycle

after a few races and time-trials we then switch to small off-period (in our current training group based in Finland, the weather dictates our length of 'winter' cycles)

Over to you

TheEd

RE: Still aiming for sub 20-min 5k... - GavMoon - 27-03-2024

Ok TheEd that all sounds great.

That is correct - no events planned until the tri season starts again in November.
I was toying with the idea of a duathlon over winter but this is probably unlikely and wouldn't be a priority anyway, more of a distraction to break up the long winter training block.

The only other thing I was thinking was a Parkrun here and there to test if I'm getting faster. Since you asked about it, yes we do have Parkrun here in Oz and there are a few different ones not too far away from me.

Would you like me to run a timed 4k? I reckon it would be about 16:20-16:30 but I'm happy to have a crack (just not this week, recovery week).
As for the 10k - in recent times I have rarely run over 10k on my long run Smile But I can go out and get a time if you need me to!

Cheers, GM

RE: Still aiming for sub 20-min 5k... - TheEd - 17-04-2024

Hi GM, did you do the 4k time-trial? How things with your ticking over?

TheEd

RE: Still aiming for sub 20-min 5k... - GavMoon - 19-04-2024

Hi TheEd, good to hear from you. Sorry, I wasn't sure if I was meant to do the 4k or not. Whoops! Anyway, I was sick last week and then although I feel ok this week, I think I'm still shaking it off because HR is about 10bpm higher than it normally is - and I'm only doing easy paces. So I'll do the 4k TT in the next week or two once I'm sorted.

I've been settling into a new routine that takes into account recent job changes. Running days are now Monday (long), Wednesday and Friday.
I'll be in touch!
GM

RE: Still aiming for sub 20-min 5k... - TheEd - 19-04-2024

No hassle GM, was also my bad for not answering, Yes Smile .. recover slowly so it doesn't linger longer

till we chat again

TheEd

RE: Still aiming for sub 20-min 5k... - GavMoon - 01-05-2024

Hi again TheEd - just a quick update. I had a bad cold a few weeks ago, it cleared up but lingered as sinusitis, couldn't shake it. On antibiotics now. All my metrics from Garmin have gone south. 5k race predictor is now 20m30s Sad

Anyway - I've kept up the running on the whole, so let's see. I plan to do the 4k TT next week, probably Friday.

And the predictions?
- I'll be disappointed if not under 17:00
- I think 16:40 might be doable, but it feels like ages since I did any faster work.
Let's see..
GM

RE: Still aiming for sub 20-min 5k... - TheEd - 02-05-2024

Hi GM .. don't stress .. don't take to heart about the metrics, simply recover, begin to feel healthy and everything will work out

good luck

TheEd