Running Information Forums
A new goal - Printable Version

+- Running Information Forums (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Training Zone (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-The-Training-Zone)
+--- Forum: 10K Training Feedback (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-10K-Training-Feedback)
+--- Thread: A new goal (/Thread-A-new-goal)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

A new goal - TheEd - 13-06-2012

apologies Will .. the IAMwill threw me Wink .. saw IAN

always be cautious after running hard .. the tightness of the hip can be related to overuse ..

onwards and forwards

TheEd

A new goal - IamWill - 14-06-2012

No problem!

And I'll be carefull with my hip.

Friday in a week is race day, from Saturday onwards I follow the last week of the program. Today I'll do 30 min, shall I do an easy 10k tomorrow?

A new goal - TheEd - 14-06-2012

that should be fine .. instead of doing the 10 x 400m session, please switch it to 3 x 5 minutes @ 10k pace with 3 minutes easy in-between

enjoy the run down

TheEd

A new goal - IamWill - 14-06-2012

O.K. Sounds perfect! Thank you :notworthy:

A new goal - IamWill - 18-06-2012

Hi TheEd,

A quick question:
I was looking at my training paces and I noticed that I do a lot most of my easy training sessions at a 6-minute pace.

When put my stats into McMillan's calculator, it points to a 4:24 to 4:42 optimal pace for easy runs. I see that Albert (who's at a same level time-wise, although with more running experience it seems) does his easy runs below a 5:00 pace.

Should I up the tempo in my easy runs:confused:? Or should I first get more used to the increased mileage before doing so? I could work from HR, but it I think the decision is more dependent on what's smart for my bones & tendons than cardiovascular intensity.

Your thoughts on this issue are much appreciated!

Will

P.S. My hip is not bothering me anymoreSmile

A new goal - TheEd - 18-06-2012

Let it come naturally .. your pace for easy runs (at same current pulse) will increase according to how you develop .. even if another runner runs similar times to you, they may recover quicker or better between sessions

recovery between quality sessions is the secret

as you develop your recovery improves and you are therefore able to handle a higher workload

patience must be linear to this

you moving in the right direction

TheEd
ps.. another comparison to Albert is that he has had a few events where the weather has impacted on performance, as I am quite sure he is actually far closer to sub 36 than he realises Wink .. we must never lose faith

A new goal - IamWill - 18-06-2012

Clear, thank youSmile.

My 3*5min @ race pace, r 3min went well today. The data:
9.35k, 46.05min, 4:56 pace, Average HR 146, Max HR 173.

warm up, 9.5min @ 5:51 pace, HR 130
1st 5min, 3:41 pace, HR 163
3 min r, 5:36 pace, HR 143
2nd 5min, 3:50 pace, HR 163
3 min r, 6:18 pace, HR 145
3rd 5 min, 3:40 pace, HR 165
3 min r, 5:37 pace, HR 150
cool down, 12.5min @ 5:51, HR 139

Looking forward to Friday's race!

A new goal - TheEd - 19-06-2012

looking good ..

enjoy

TheEd

A new goal - IamWill - 21-06-2012

Did a little bit of speed play during my Tuesday 10k session and took an extra day of rest yesterday (well, i played squash, but no running) and also rest today. That seems to make sense, because I've been upping my mileage a bit the past three weeks and I want to have fresh legs at the start.

Weather forecasts shows it won't be too hot on friday evening when the race is, so hoping for a PB (sub 36:41), but satisfied with everything below 37:30, as I don't know the course. I think I will try to run exactly at a 3:40 pace or even slightly slower for the first 3k and see how I feel then. Not going out to fast (like last three races:mmmSmile will be an important objective.

Is this a sensible pacing strategy?

A new goal - TheEd - 21-06-2012

The first 100m of a race will not affect you adversely, if you jump out and then cut back to 3.40 per k effort

then take your splits from the 1km mark and look to run 3.40 per k from there

only look to run each km in 3.40 .. if you run 3.45 for a km stick to running the next km in 3.40 .. don't try make up for it

once you get to 7km, you have to focus and work to maintain the effort

once you get to the last km, then you have nothing to lose and you can look to run your fastest km with a kick at the end

your first and last km are often very similar

hope this all makes sense and enjoy the event

TheEd