Running Information Forums
5k in Sub 25 minutes - Printable Version

+- Running Information Forums (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Training Zone (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-The-Training-Zone)
+--- Forum: 10K Training Feedback (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-10K-Training-Feedback)
+--- Thread: 5k in Sub 25 minutes (/Thread-5k-in-Sub-25-minutes)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

5k in Sub 25 minutes - TheEd - 02-07-2012

this looks pretty good Sal, however .. do not do too much running

focus on the training which is the quality and then 1 longish run

allow for more recovery or else you may have a reverse effect and start suffering more from fatigue by doing too much

what are your thoughts on this?

TheEd

5k in Sub 25 minutes - Sal - 02-07-2012

Yes - agreed.

Interestingly, during the week between my race and the 4k time trial I think I only ran twice and both of those were 20 - 30 minute easy runs and my times on Saturday were the best I've done.

At least for now as I'm still building up endurance, I think I need to work hard on the quality runs and in the week before the race back off to just a couple of easy runs.

Thanks

Sal

5k in Sub 25 minutes - TheEd - 02-07-2012

keep providing feedback Sal and you will get advice accordingly and before you know it you will be on a different level

for now .. less is more

Cheers

TheEd

5k in Sub 25 minutes - Sal - 07-07-2012

Hi The Ed

Here's the feed back from my 3 x 2k sessions:-

Well the good news is that I finished the session, which was better than 4 weeks ago Smile

The 2k splits were as follows:

1) 10:10
2) 10:26
3) 10:20
With a 2 minute recovery between them.

Overall I was quite pleased with this.

Kind regards

Sal

5k in Sub 25 minutes - TheEd - 07-07-2012

coming along nicely .. when you able to do this session in sub 10 minutes then you will know you getting closer to your goal

onwards and forwards

and enjoy the rest of your weekend

TheEd

5k in Sub 25 minutes - Sal - 24-08-2012

Hi The Ed

Apologies for the lack of contact over the last month - have been on holiday and also upto London to watch some of the Olympics - Watching Mo Farah was awesome!

I have still kept up the running though. I have a race on 16 Sept, which is 3 weeks on Sunday, so am looking to start another cycle. I ran another 4k time trial yesterday just to see where I am and the times are below:
5:00
4:57
4:54
4:38
total time for 4k was 19:29 - over 30 secs faster than the last one I ran. I'm not quite sure what happened on the last 1k - had no idea I was going that much faster!

Would you be able to suggest suitable paces for me to aim for in all hard sessions?

Kind regards

Sal

5k in Sub 25 minutes - TheEd - 25-08-2012

nice going Sal .. good to have you back

let's have you doing that 2k session again and then see how that goes

last session:

1) 10:10
2) 10:26
3) 10:20

let's have you starting at 10:10 and then see if you can either maintain the pace or go quicker than 10 minutes after the first one

nice to see a 4.38 in your run Wink

onwards and forwards

TheEd

5k in Sub 25 minutes - Sal - 27-08-2012

Hi The Ed

I've had a go at setting myself up the following cycle - it is based on the normal cycle, apart from me changing the hard runs to Wed/Fri and also cutting out just a couple of the 30 mins easy to allow for more recovery. I'll update as I go, but does this seem OK as a base?

Wednesday - 60 mins easy
Thursday - 30 mins easy
Friday - 3 x 2k at 5:05 pace with 2mins rest
Saturday - rest
Sunday - 1hour 30mins easy
Monday - Rest
Tuesday - 30 mins easy
Wednesday - 5 x1k at 4:55 pace with 90secs rest
Thursday - Rest
Friday - 30 mins easy
Saturday - 5k paced
Sunday - 10k easy
Monday - rest
Tuesday - 30 mins easy
Wednesday - 3 x 5 mins at 5:00 pace with 3 mins recovery
Thursday - 30 mins easy
Friday - rest
Saturday - rest
Sunday - race

Kind regards

Sal

5k in Sub 25 minutes - TheEd - 28-08-2012

this looks pretty good Sal and you have the basics of a decent training cycle in place

however do not focus too much on the recovery runs if you tired after the quality 1k session next week

looking forward to your feedback from the 2k session

it is all looks solid

TheEd
ps.. definite improvement

5k in Sub 25 minutes - Sal - 29-08-2012

Woken up with a stinking cold this morning - just a head cold so, no aches etc.

Not sure whether to cut back the 60/70 minute today to 30 minutes or would missing out on the 60mins set me back too much. I probably could manage to do 60 minutes (as long as I take a supply of tissues with me Smile )