Running Information Forums
5k in Sub 25 minutes - Printable Version

+- Running Information Forums (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Training Zone (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-The-Training-Zone)
+--- Forum: 10K Training Feedback (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-10K-Training-Feedback)
+--- Thread: 5k in Sub 25 minutes (/Thread-5k-in-Sub-25-minutes)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

5k in Sub 25 minutes - TheEd - 25-06-2013

nice to hear from you Sal

congrats on the Half and the excitement of the Triathlon

for adapting the 10k program to add swim and cycle

Day 3 to Day 8 is the most important part of the 10k training program

and to start with I wouldn't recommend swimming and cycling during the first 2 cycles of the program

in weeks 2 and 3 you are able to slot swimming and cycling in quite effectively

after 2 cycles you should be at a level of adaptation where we can then add the swimming and cycling

what days are you doing your swimming and cycling on currently?

cheers

TheEd

5k in Sub 25 minutes - Sal - 25-06-2013

Hi The Ed

I'm only actually cycling once a week at the weekends (usually first thing on a Saturday morning).

I'm spending more time on the swimming as until January this year I couldn't even swim front crawl.

I usually try and swim twice or three times a week, but some of those sessions are just for 30 mins and are more technique based (lots of drills) rather than an all out effort.

I'm finding that the swim sessions don't affect my running too much, but the cycling certainly does..!

I find putting the time in for the cycling hard, with a family, job etc. So am thinking of concentrating more on the running and swimming and entering a couple of aquathons for the remainder of this year.

Kind regards

Sal

5k in Sub 25 minutes - TheEd - 26-06-2013

OK great then you can keep your swim sessions in place and for now don't cycle on the first weekend, thereafter you can slot it in

with regards to cycling, you need to have the technique right, saddle height etc needs to be done correctly or else this will most definitely affect the legs as well as your recovery between sessions

this is NB! when it comes to the cycling

over to you

TheEd

5k in Sub 25 minutes - Sal - 26-06-2013

Hi The Ed

Apologies for all the questions.

Do you have a nutrition plan that goes with the cycles eg what to eat on specific days to aid with recovery on the hard days and not to over eat on the rest days etc?

Kind regards

Sal

5k in Sub 25 minutes - TheEd - 27-06-2013

Sal, I used to have a general plan however in relocation etc it has been misplaced and I would need to redo it accordingly

though when providing the general outline, we always recommended seeing a sports nutritionist to get the 'blueprint' for the individual

currently somewhat some 'mind space' away from redeveloping the general plan

will get there one day though

TheEd
ps.. eat segments were as such

Breakfast
Snack
Lunch
Snack
Supper / Dinner
Snack

5k in Sub 25 minutes - Sal - 01-07-2013

Hi The Ed

All running on hold at the moment. Sad

Did a 10k race Sunday 23rd June and 1-2 miles in started to get a pain in my right knee. Not excruitating pain, so I carried on to the end, with a combination of walking and running and limped in at a time of 57mins. For the rest of that day and the following day, had a lot of problems and could feel the pain walking, going up and downstairs etc. 2 days later the pain was completely gone.

Went out on Wednesday for a light jog to test it out and about a mile in, pain in knee returned, so walked home. As soon as I stopped running the paid went and I couldn't feel it at all just walking.

Sunday tried again and exactly the same, pain in knee about 1 and a quarter in, so walked home again.

I went swimming in the afternoon and no pain with that, so am dedicating the whole of this week to swimming.!!

Hoping with a week of rest, it should just disappear as quickly as it came?

Kind regards

Sally

5k in Sub 25 minutes - TheEd - 01-07-2013

do consider reading this article

Runner's Knee - http://www.time-to-run.com/injuries/thebig5/runnersknee.htm

then, do make sure that when you cycle that your saddle height and how you are fitted for the bike etc , is correct for you

as this can also add to knee problems on occassion

you may have a few overuse issues currently, so hopefully the link above assists

TheEd

5k in Sub 25 minutes - Sal - 01-07-2013

Thanks for this.

I've read the article and the symptoms of ITB sound exactly what I've got.

Pain on the outside of the knee, starting about a mile into the run and pain stopping as soon as I start running again.

I will follow the advice and see how I get on with that.

Luckily my swimming needs so much work that it is not a major problem to have to spend some time working on that! Smile

Thanks for you help.

Sal

5k in Sub 25 minutes - Sal - 08-07-2013

After a week of complete rest from running, I went out for a slow 2 mile jog, just see how the knee was (pain used to start just after a mile in). Thankfully no pain at all.

Was going to leave it another day and then try a three mile jog, I'll let you know how that goes.

Was planning on competing in an Aquathon on 21st July, so only 13 days away. It is only a 300m swim and a 5k run, so nothing too bad.

Assuming run on Tuesday goes OK, not too sure what training to do before the event. I'm wondering on whether to use the 5k run of the event just as a time trail and see what comes of it?

Sal

5k in Sub 25 minutes - Sal - 10-07-2013

5k run done yesterday and thankfully no problems so all seems OK. Smile

Any suggestions on what to do between now on and my aquathon on 21st July?

Kind regards

Sal